The future looks greener at WinCo Foods
At WinCo Foods, we believe that being a part of your community means more than just having a store in your city. How so? It starts with local employee ownership, continues with low prices that are catered to you, and is reinforced by being responsible in how we operate our employee-owned stores; we believe those are keys to being a good neighbor, your neighbor.
- LESS PAPER: Unlike most stores that will spend millions of dollars and countless sheets of paper to put out weekly ads, we save them for special occasions. This allows us to do two things; conserve natural resources and save money, which is used to offer you lower prices.
- NATURAL LIGHT: The next time you shop at one of our newer or updated WinCo locations, look up. Those skylights do more than add nice aesthetic, they also help us reduce the amount of energy used to light our stores. Throughout the day, our smart lighting system measures the amount of sunlight coming into the building and automatically turns off any lights that are not needed.
- REFRIGERATION: Did you know that refrigeration is a huge contributor to the world’s energy consumption? That’s why we’re doing our part to cut back by implementing energy efficient refrigerated and frozen areas at our new stores, and updating our existing locations.
- LESS WASTE: More recycling + less perishable waste = less trips to the landfills from our store.
- Have you ever wondered what we do with items that we can no longer sell, but are still good to eat? Quite often they are donated. Each of our stores will select a chosen food bank or institution, that may then better redistribute our donation to smaller groups or individuals. While not every perishable item can be donated due to food safety concerns; what we can donate, we gladly do.
- What happens to the empty boxes and plastic wrap that protect our shipments? Recycle, recycle, recycle.
- SAVING GAS: Responsible fuel consumption matters to us. Our trucking fleet services stores in seven states, which means that planning and proper maintenance are essential. We have a dedicated transportation team that carefully plans each trip for the best route and works to combine deliveries where possible. Meanwhile, our maintenance team makes sure that each truck in the fleet is kept in top shape, with state-of-the-art equipment to get the most out of every drop of fuel.
- THINK OUT OF THE BOX: For instance, when we set out to light our one-million square foot distribution center in Woodburn, Oregon, we took the green route. We chose a smart lighting system outfitted with motion sensors. These sensors work like helping hands, turning off individual lights where no activity is detected, both in warehouse and office areas.
- PLASTIC BAGS: Have you seen the bins full of plastic bags right as you walk in to our stores, and wondered what can go there? The plastic bags that you picked up at our check-stands, or even the ones from our produce or bulk areas; that’s the perfect place for them. Simply return any of those plastic bags that you no longer need and that are still clean; we’ll gladly recycle them for free.
- REUSABLE BAGS: WinCo Foods offers durable, reusable bags for purchase at a great low price. Once purchased, these bags can be used time and time again at checkout, instead of plastic or paper sacks. We also encourage you to bring your reusable grocery bags from home and reduce the use of plastic or paper. Look for WinCo Foods branded reusable grocery bags for sale at our stores near checkout.
Exploring solar power: At WinCo Foods, we’re constantly researching new technologies to help reduce our carbon footprint. Currently, we’re live testing six solar powered light poles in the parking lot of one of our Boise locations and have added them to several of our new stores. The solar panels are built right into the fixture and collect the sun’s energy throughout the day and power the LEDs as needed by night. Even more exciting, any excess energy produced by the fixtures is used to reduce the amount of electricity used inside our store.
Opting for LED lighting wherever we can: LED lighting is a smarter, greener choice than traditional or fluorescent lighting for two reasons. First, LED light bulbs are more energy efficient and need replacing less frequently. Second, LED doesn’t contain mercury or emit UV light, which means it’s safer for the environment and our customers.
More to Come
Whether it’s LED lighting, solar panels, or energy efficient appliances, you can count on WinCo Foods to do our part to make the world a little greener, and chances are that the changes we make will allow you to keep more green in your wallet. Shop Smart ~ Save Money.