WinCo Produce: Quality, selection and value; straight from the orchard & farm to your store.
Without washing them, place berries in an airtight container, Tupperware will work, even a large Ziploc bag can be used. Once or twice a day, when reaching into the fridge, make it a habit to “burp” the container to release gases. All it takes is opening it and closing (do so outside of the fridge). When it’s time to enjoy, wash only the amount you are going to use.
Bonus Tip: If you see a berry that is slightly damaged, but still edible, use it first. Following these tips can extend the life of strawberries by as much as a week.
- To ripen quickly, place bananas inside a paper bag, folding/wrapping the end so bag is closed.
- Use your nose to find the best cantaloupe. Ripe cantaloupe will smell very sweet and will be your best pick.
- Choose oranges that are firm and heavy for their size. The juiciest, sweetest oranges will have a sweet, clean fragrance.
- To find the best watermelons, tap it with a flat, open hand. A deep and thick sound will give you the best chances at finding a ripe and sweet melon.
- Choose cucumbers that have a good green color and are firm throughout. Good cucumbers usually have small bumps on the surface.
- Fresh, Springtime Asparagus
- Sweet, Ripe Strawberries
- Flavorful Hot House Tomatoes
- Super Sweet California Citrus
- New Crop Artichokes