News from the WinCo Produce Guy – Sweet Potato TalkPosted: September 29, 2016 | Posted By: The Produce Guy
You say Sweet Potato, We say YAM! =D The WinCo Produce Guy here, to tell you all about this root (that’s right root) we love to eat, especially this time of year!
Sweet Potato Fun Facts:
- Sweet Potatoes are commonly referred to as “yams”.
- The sweet potato is not a potato, not even a distant cousin. Potatoes are tubers; sweet potatoes are roots.
- The sweet potato was ranked number one in nutrition of all vegetables by the Center for Science in the Public Interest.
- The CSPI ranked the sweet potato at 184 in nutritional value, more than 100 points ahead of the baked potato, spinach or broccoli.
- Sweet potatoes contain virtually no fat or sodium.
- Sweet potatoes are a more nutritious if cooked with the skin on.
- Sweet potatoes should be washed and dried thoroughly before being cooked.
- Sweet potatoes should not be refrigerated unless cooked. Storage at low temperatures can cause flavor loss.
- Sweet potatoes should be stored in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area at approximately 55 degrees to 65 degrees F.
- Ideally, sweet potatoes should be used within a week or two, however they may be stored for up to one month.
- Always use a stainless steel knife when cutting a sweet potato. Using a carbon blade will cause it darken.
Looking for recipes? Check out our Pinterest boards, and stop by to see me in your WinCo Produce Department!