Try this Apple Strudel Recipe
Author: Pepperidge Farm®
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 125 (including thaw time) Minutes
Makes: 6 Servings
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. water
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. raisins
- 1/2 of a 17.3-ounce package Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry Sheets (1 sheet), thawed
- 1 tbsp. confectioners’ sugar (optional)
1. Heat the oven to 375°F. Beat the egg and water in a small bowl with a fork. Stir the granulated sugar, flour and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add the apples and raisins and toss to coat.
2. Sprinkle additional flour on the work surface. Unfold the pastry sheet on the work surface. Roll the pastry sheet into a 16 x 12-inch rectangle. With the short side facing you, spoon the apple mixture onto the bottom half of the pastry sheet to within 1 inch of the edge. Roll up like a jelly roll. Place seam-side down onto a baking sheet. Tuck the ends under to seal. Brush the pastry with the egg mixture. Cut several slits in the top of the pastry.
3. Bake for 35 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Let the pastry cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with the confectioners' sugar, if desired.
4. For some nutty crunch, 1/4 cup sliced almonds may be added with the apples and raisins.
5. For best results, make sure to toss the apples and raisins until they're evenly coated with the flour mixture. The flour helps to thicken the juices released by the apples as they cook.
6. For a Vanilla Sauce to serve with the strudel, stir 3/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup light cream, 1/3 cup sugar, 4 egg yolks, beaten and 1/2 vanilla bean in a 2-quart saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture boils and thickens. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Remove the vanilla bean. Any leftover sauce is delicious over fresh berries or ice cream.
7. For Pear and Cranberry Strudel, you can substitute Bosc pears and dried cranberries for the apples and raisins in this recipe.