Try this Barbecue Pulled American Lamb Shank on Crusty Rolls Recipe
Author: American Lamb Board
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Total Time: 145 Minutes
Makes: 6 Servings
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 American Lamb shanks
- dash Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 yellow onions, sliced into1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 tsp dried oregano leaves, crushed
- ¾ cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 6 crusty rolls, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. In a large skillet, heat the oil over high heat. Pat the shanks dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Brown the shanks in the oil on all sides.
2. Place the shanks in a roasting pan. Add the onion, chicken broth, and oregano. Roast for 2 hours, turning the shanks every 30 minutes.
3. When the meat is done, remove it from the broth and let it cool. Strain the broth, reserving the onions. Reserve 1/4 cup of broth. Refrigerate or freeze the remaining broth for use in soups or stews.
4. Remove the meat from the bones and shred it, removing any fat. In a large saucepan, combine the pulled lamb, barbecue sauce, and 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup reserved broth if needed. Cook on low, stirring to combine the sauce and lamb.
5. Split the rolls and spoon the meat into each roll.