Image used is for illustration purposes only, actual recipe may vary.
Try this Quinoa with Kale, Squash and Walnuts Recipe
Prep Time:10 Minutes
Total Time:50 Minutes
Makes: 2-3 Servings
Bulk Foods Recipe: Bin #2035 - WALNUT HALVES AND PIECES
- 1 cup quinoa (Bulk Bin# 1482)
- 2 cups broth or water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup hard squash (choose your favorite), cubed in a 3/4″ dice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup kale leaves, washed and hard stems removed, coarsely torn
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped (Bulk Bin# 2035)
Recipe Instructions:In a saucepan, combine the quinoa and broth or water. Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until the water has been absorbed (approximately 20 minutes). Remove from heat and fluff with fork.
Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add onion and caramelize (approximately 10 minutes). When nice and golden, add garlic, squash and wine. Cover and cook until squash is fork tender. Uncover and add kale and lemon juice. Cook until liquid is evaporated and kale is wilted and bright green. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Add kale mixture and walnuts to quinoa and stir to mix.
• Use orange juice instead of lemon juice
• Try any BULK nut – cashews, pine nuts, pecans. Pepitas too.
• Stir in BULK dried fruit – cranberries and golden raisins sound particularly good.
• Embrace other leafy greens! Spinach, chard!