Smart Shopper Tip:This recipe can be doubled or tripled. Use your judgment and taste. A larger quantity of sauce will take slightly longer to cook.
Try this Rigatoni with Isernio’s Sausage Recipe
Author: Isernio's Sausage
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
Makes: 4-6 (as a main course) Servings
- 1 16-oz. roll Isernio’s Chicken Sausage, Mild or Hot Italian
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 med. onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped or pressed
- 1/2 tsp. hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 28-oz. can Italian style plum tomatoes, with juice, squeezed by hand or broken up in skillet with a wooden spoon.
- 3/4 lb. Rigatoni pasta or cut pasta of choice
- 10 fresh basil leaves, torn
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4-6 tbsp. grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Recipe Instructions:1. In a large 12" skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil and cook sausage over medium heat, breaking up with a wooden spoon and cooking until all pinkness is gone, do not brown. Remove meat from skillet and set aside. Add 2 Tbsp. olive oil to the skillet, add the onion, garlic and red pepper flakes and cook on medium until the onion is soft, 8-10 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes, 1/2 tsp. salt and a few grinds of black pepper to taste. Add cooked sausage to skillet. Bring sauce to a boil then reduce heat to a medium low, just-bubbling simmer. Cook sauce uncovered for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened.
3. While the sauce is cooking, bring 5 qts. of water to a boil. Add 2 Tbsp. salt to boiling water, add the Rigatoni and cook until al dente – about 12-14 minutes, or according to the package instructions.
4. Taste the sauce for salt and pepper, and adjust if needed. Drain the pasta completely and place in the sauce. Toss the pasta with the sauce to ensure each piece is coated. Add the torn basil, a drizzle of olive oil and mix well. Serve immediately with freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese.